As we get older, many of us become more exposed to illness. To reduce this, we would like to invite you to make an appointment to come into the Warana Medical Centre for a health check. It is for everyone aged between 45 and 49 who may be at risk of developing a health complaint, like diabetes or heart problems.
The aim of the health check is to help find, prevent or lessen the effect of disease. After all, it is better to avoid disease than treat it. This health check will give us the opportunity to look at your lifestyle and medical/family history to find out if you are at risk.
The health check involves:
- Updating your medical history and looking at your health issues
- Doing tests – (such as blood pressure tests)
- Electrocardiogram (ECG) is a test that checks for problems with the electrical activity of your heart.
- Spirometry (Spiro) – Also known as lung function tests, to measure how well your lungs work.
- Follow up of any problems identified
- Advice and information, for example on how to make lifestyle changes to improve your health
If you are currently within the age of 45 and 49 you may have a “risk factor”. This meaning anything that increases your chance of developing a disease, then you are entitled to a health check.
Risk factors may include:
- High blood pressure
- Lack of physical activity
- Extra weight
- Unbalanced diet
- High cholesterol
- Family history of disease (e.g. cancer, glaucoma, heart disease, depression or diabetes)
- High stress levels
- Sun Exposure – or you would just like to have a Health Check done.
There is no cost for this service as it is covered by Medicare.
When booking your appointment, please ensure to let the reception staff know that it is for a 45-49 Year Old Health Check so they can allocate an appropriate time period for the doctor. Also, if you have any friends or family members that would be entitled to such a check, talk to them about it and encourage them to visit their usual doctor.